Sunday, October 26, 2008

Unpopular religion and culture

Living in a society where religion is very unpopular is very interesting to say the least. I am sure we all see that with Prop 8 and the like becoming political centerpieces. As a person with an open mind and able to see other peoples' point of view while still preserving my own I like to observe the interesting things that go on. I can definitely say that I can see why people frown upon parts of our religious culture (this should not be confused with the teachings). I can definitely say I don't fit in as a single parent. People are afraid and won't talk to me and avoid me when possible even if I am the one to make the effort. I just have to smile and laugh inside because I think it is hilarious that people are threatened by lil ol' me simply because I am not married. Parents that don't go to the church have no problem being friends with me so why do religious people shun me? I will say that I have never been a huge fan of the "better than everyone" attitude that is perpetuated there at church and among the members. As a child and teenager I had a hard time with the girls that acted this way in my high school. I knew who I was and followed the teachings just as much as them yet I did not think that type of attitude was a healthy thing for people on the outside or even people on the inside of religion. Just the other day I was sitting at a moms' meeting for one of Emma's after school activities and there were only 3 of us left. All the sudden one of the ladies brought up religion and said oh in one class at school there are a ton of "them" in there. I sat there listening to what she proceeded to say about how the kids ask why they won't talk to anyone and why the parents are all glazed over and stuff. I tried to think of a good way to jump in but I could not think of anything brilliant and finally just said " well I am actually one of them." I then continued to explain that it was obvious they did not know I was because not all of us have the attitude. I said that you have to base a church on the teachings and not the people and that I learned that a long time ago. I think it was pretty effective because then we got into a very nice political discussion and I think they realized that we were very similar in thoughts/views and not all church goers have the stuck up attitude even though it is the norm. When I am out in different communities I can always pick up on the people that are part of the church and it is not always flattering to onlookers or even to myself. I think it is fine to stand out in a good healthy way but that is not what I am referring to. The point is that you can't base a religion on the people and the culture that they often make. I have learned all too well in my life about people thinking they are "better," in fact I have had lots of run-ins with the culture. I once dated a guy that was deeply rooted in the religion knowing that ultimately I don't want to settle for anything less than a marriage within the church who thinks and lives the same way I do but in the end he could not date me anymore because I had gone through a very rough time in the past and not been active in the church for a period of time. I know myself and I know my heart and I know the things I desire and strive for and if someone thinks I am not good enough because of mistakes or things that have happened in my past then I really don't want to date them either because that shows me they have that "better than" attitude when we are living the same principles and striving for the same things yet my past is held against me. I still think that is another good example of how the culture many times gets mixed into the religion. So as hard as it is to accept that most people think this way I try to remind myself daily of the importance of it in both my own and my daughter's lives. It seems to me it is almost the decline of society. I know that sounds harsh but the things I see on a daily bases are crazy. I go into the library at the high school and see books on display about being gay and lesbian. I see public displays of affection at the schools. I see condoms ripped and used on the school grounds. I hear kids constantly swearing and talking about dirty things. That is just the beginning of what I see. Unhealthy things are so prevalent. Even if I died and found out the church was not true I would still be happy for the values it instilled in my child and the type of lifestyle it provides me. It gives me peace and sanity in a crazy busy world and reminds me what is important. Even though Emma cries about going to church because she knows she has difficulty sitting still and it is hard for me to deal with her yelling and screaming during the meeting (yes she is 6 years old) I can still see the benefit in it. Just today she came home and told me a whole nice story about service and then she snuck off to the bedroom and made my bed and left me a little heart on my pillow. I teach her these things all the time at home but it's somehow different at church. In fact last week we just talked about kindness and made cookies for people, yet it seems to really sink in more when she hears it there. I will take any help I can get to help keep her on a good path and church gives children that edge. Anyway this has been on my mind lately with all these hot topics coming up and well I guess because it is Sunday and I wish I could attend a church with singles because most lessons don't totally apply to me as much and I prefer singles church with less attitude. But I go with the flow and do what I know is right despite unpopular opinions and the culture that can be a drag and in the end I know it is for the better good.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wow that is all interesting. I'm glad you are making the sacrifice for Emma. Church is hard for me sometimes too because the kids get so crazy but I know it is worth it. We have one single mom in our ward and I tried to make an effort to invite her to things but she doesn't seem to want to be friends. I know she says it feels weird sometimes to be the single mom in the ward with all the marrieds. I hope the people in the church become more open minded. I have divorce in my family and my sister is single and almost 30. There are so many situations and not everyone is the ideal. I think people just put on a good show at church a lot of the time.