Friday, January 16, 2009
Happy day to me
I got the best birthday present ever today. I teach a young boy that has a birthday the day after mine. He turned 10 this year. Each year I take him out on a mobility lesson to get a treat to celebrate his birthday. A little background on this child... He does not get out much and does not have much of what we would see as a functional family. He thinks he is in heaven when I take him to the park or on a field trip because he rarely gets out with his family. He tells me about making his own food and dinner and is not very well groomed and in fact last year I could not even take him in my car much due to this. He talks all year and counts down until the birthday lesson so that I can take him out. Every week I see him he talks about it. Even in September he could not wait. Last year I felt bad because he said nobody at home had even done anything like make him a cake etc. I could tell he was bummed but he really shrugged it off since he is such a good natured person. Anyway, since our birthdays were earlier this week he knew that the birthday lesson would be today. Last week he made sure that I knew that we were celebrating my birthday as well. I agreed but I really wanted it to be special for him and not myself. I couldn't wait to go take him out and put a smile on his face. I wanted to really make his day but instead he ended up making mine. I walked in the cafeteria where he was still eating lunch and his whole face became brighter than the 30 candles on my own cake. I started to tell him I was going to the office to sign him out and he quickly jumped up and said wait I need to tell you something, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" and he gave me a huge hug even in front of all the kids. He is so sweet. We left the campus and there are very few places close enough to the school to go so he had to pick between 7-11 or a treat at burger king. He told me that he was still really hungry and he wanted a hamburger. Most kids would pick an icee or candy or pie but oh no he wanted a hamburger. We went and got it and celebrated and then on the way back he said that "this was the best birthday ever because I got a hamburger." He is a kid that I would love to take home and have him come hang out with Emma and I and come do fun things with us. He is eager to listen and experience the world but just doesn't get the opportunities. I gave him a matchbox car last year and he loved it. Would it be odd if I took him to the toy store and let him pick anything he wanted? Yeah I guess that is overstepping the line but I love to see him happy and for once get things that he would not get otherwise. He is so appreciative and just such a sweet nature. He really made my day. If this is how it is being 30 then I can deal with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How sweet! That is so cool that you can have a good influence on a kid like that and offer him things he wouldn't normally have. Sounds like you had a great brithday. That was a little similiar to my birthday experience. I found that giving on my birthday makes me feel a lot happier than waiting to get something.
Sounds like your 30th birthday celebration was much better than mine!!
Post a Comment